This amazingly versatile fungus is not only delicious, it is also a natural medicinal food.
This tasty morsel has been used medicinally for 2000 plus years.
In Traditional Chinese medicine it has been used as a general tonic to help the body maintain good health and longevity.
It is said to have been dried and used as a tea to enhance brain power and focus by Buddhist monks.
It is thought that Lions Main Mushroom is beneficial for many ailments and that it may improve cognitive function including memory and concentration as well as increasing blood flow to the brain. It enables the manufacturing within the body of a protein which is said to assist in new nerve growth.
The use of Lions Main mushrooms is purported to help with anxiety and depression, improve gut microbes, anti inflammatory bowel disease and reduce blood glucose.
Lions Mushroom Steaks
with wilted baby spinach and poach eggs
- Cut Mushroom into thick slices.
Place in a heavy based skillet on a medium heat.
Place mushroom slices in the skillet and cook slowly, until both sides are nice and brown.
- When cooked remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the baby spinach in the same skillet and cook with a lid on a low heat with a drizzle of garlic olive oil for 1 minute.
- Place eggs for poaching on top of the spinach and replace the lid.
- When the eggs are cooked, dish up your mushrooms onto a warm plate and top with the spinach and eggs.