- 1 Kilo fresh mussels
- 1 small bunch of chives
- 1 medium size ripe tomato
- 2 table spoon dijion mustard (un-seeded)
- 2 rashers of lean free range organic bacon or ham
- half a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- a few sprigs of parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh rocket
- Take a medium size mixing bowl and place the following ingredients in it.
- bacon or ham cut into small slivers, tomato and chives finely chopped.
- Mix the mustard, bacon, tomato and herbs together and set aside.
- Fill a large heavy based saucepan with cold water and set on stove top to boil
- White the water is coming to the boil, thoroughly wash the mussels in fresh water.
- When the water has boiled add a few mussels to the water till the sells open, remove from water and continue until all of the mussels have been processed .
- Remove from their shells, retaining 1 half of each set of shells to cook the meat in.
- Make sure the shells are clean and place 1 piece of mussel meat in each shell.
- Spoon a small amount of the mustard mixture onto of each of the mussels.
- Top with parmesan cheese
- Grill until the cheese is golden brown.
For a main meal plate 12 of the mussels, top with parsley and a wedge of lemon, with a side dish of rocket salad with fresh gluten and lactose free fodmap friendly flat bread.