Low fodmap quick and easy tomato sauce is an essential for a barbecue. Eat your heart out Mr Heinz. This sauce can be used as a base for pasta and on pizza or just simply as a dipping sauce. I love multi purpose recipes they save such a lot of time and are especially tasty when home made.
Ingredients: tomato bbq/salsa sauce
- 800 grams fresh crushed tomatoes (can be substituted for crushed organically grown tinned tomatoes).
- 1 bunch spring onion green tops only finely chopped.
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper) finely chopped.
- 4 red chillies finely chopped (optional).
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger.
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar.
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused cold-pressed olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon white wine or cider vinegar.
For a pasta or pizza sauce leave out the sugar and vinegar.
- if you are using fresh tomatoes place them in a bowl and stir through the salt and pepper, leave aside to rest (this will help to bring out the juices from the tomatoes).
- place the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- add the ginger, chillies and spring onion tops to the pan and simmer slowly in the garlic infused oil until almost caramelised.
- add capsicum and continue to simmer until tender.
- de-glaze with the crushed tomatoes.
- bring to the boil, add sugar and vinegar and simmer for 25 mins.
- blend with a stick mixer.
- cook for a further 5 mins.
- store in a clean glass jar and referigerate.
The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (if you can keep from eating it all at once).